Friday, April 19, 2013

9.2 Converting "Easy" Fractions into Percents

I have $100 left in my classroom budget. I want to buy some treats for the class party. Ms. Graham says I can spend 1/2 of the money on drinks, 1/4 of the money on snacks and 1/10 on plates. I have to save the rest for books.

What PERCENT can be spent on snacks? How much money is that?
What PERCENT can be spent on drinks? How much money is that?
What PERCENT can be spent on plates? How much money is that?

What PERCENT do I have left? How much money is that?

Be sure to prove your thinking with a representation.


Part II

Oops, I made a mistake. I only have $40 left. Ms. Graham says I can spend 1/5 of the money on drinks, 1/4 of the money on snacks and 3/10 of the money on plates. I have to save the rest for books.


What PERCENT can be spent on snacks? How much money is that?
What PERCENT can be spent on drinks? How much money is that?
What PERCENT can be spent on plates? How much money is that?


Be sure to prove your thinking with a representation.

Part III

Silly Ms. Graham! She changed her mind AGAIN! Now she says I can spend 20% of the $40 on snacks, 30% of the $40 on drinks, and 35% on plates. How much can I spend on snacks? On drinks? On plates?

Be prepared to communicate your thinking with a representation.


Part IV
Drinks are $.25 each. Snacks are $.10 each. Plates are $.10 each. If we use the calculations from part II, how much money do I need for 22 students ? If I can only spend 1/5 of the money on drinks, 1/4 of the money on snacks and 3/10 of the money on plates, how much money will I need to pay out of my personal account? What if we wanted to share that cost equally between 22 kids and 1 teacher. Approximately, how much would each kid pay?

No comments:

Post a Comment